School of Teacher Education
Preparing Professional Educators for the Global Vision of the Master Teacher
The purpose of the Teacher Education program is to produce professional educators who are committed to excellence and, as a result, have a positive impact on student learning. To do so, the department has designed state-approved educational programs that are aligned with rigorous national and state standards:
- The Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), for the Elementary Education Program
- The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), for the Secondary English Education Program
- The National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), for the Secondary Social Studies Program
- The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), for the Secondary Mathematics Education Program
- The Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation (OCTP) Standards for Vocal Music, for the Elementary/Secondary Vocal Education Program, and
- The Oklahoma State Standards.
These programs qualify teacher candidates for licenses to teach at the elementary level or at the secondary level.
Through the Teacher Education Global Vision Conceptual Framework and these programs, the Teacher Education program develops the intellectual, social, moral, and spiritual domains of the teacher candidate that makes the professional educator. These domains are developed in a global pluralistic perspective through use of current research and wisdom of practice to develop successful lifelong learners who will teach in public (urban and rural) and private schools.
By the time a teacher candidate completes a teacher education program, he or she will demonstrate thorough knowledge and performance of the MACU Teacher Education Conceptual Framework, the Unit Standards and Teacher Candidate Competencies, the Oklahoma General Competencies, and the specialized professional standards for his or her respective program.
The alignment of these allows the teacher candidate graduate to focus on and accomplish the following MACU Teacher Education Standards and Teacher Candidate Competencies: Preparing Professional Educators for the Global Vision of the Master Teacher.
School of Teacher Education Degree Programs Offered:
Early Childhood Education
Elementary Education, B.S./B.A. Degree
Elementary/Secondary Vocal Music Education, B.S./B.A. Degree
Secondary English Education, B.S./B.A. Degree
Secondary Mathematics Education, B.S./B.A. Degree
Secondary Social Studies Education, B.S./B.A. Degree
- Next >>